An overture can be very useful if you have little time to tell your story. It’s like a sales pitch. Here is how to write a summary using Mozart:
- Read the full paper.
- Take the table of content and highlight the chapter(s) in which the essence of the document is hidden.
- Write down the essence per chapter in one clear sentence. What is it about or what does it say? What’s the core statement?
- Write at least one line on each chapter.
- Delete all chapters that only support, repeat, or confirm the essence.
- Put all lines after one other in a logical order.
- Add extra copy if the story is not clear enough or does not feel like one piece.
- Keep in mind it has to fit on one A4 sheet.
This is what we did with the bid of the Consortium University of Amsterdam, Vrije Universiteit, and Hogeschool van Amsterdam. This is the final overture: